It appears that former UFC lightweight title challenger Nate Diaz will not be competing under the bright lights of Madison Square Garden at UFC 230.
“The Stockton Slugger” was expected to face surging lightweight contender Dustin Poirier at the November 3 event in New York, but “The Diamond” was unfortunately forced out with an injury.
Many fight fans were hoping that former two division UFC champion Conor McGregor would step up to fight Nate Diaz on short-notice for a third time at the event.
However, those hopes were quickly crushed when the Irishman’s longtime coach John Kavanagh tweeted the following reminder of McGregor’s UFC medical suspension.
Medical suspension folks. But Tony v nate?? 💥💥
— Coach Kavanagh (@John_Kavanagh) October 10, 2018
“Medical suspension folks. But Tony v nate??” – John Kavanagh
Sadly, Tony Ferguson vs. Nate Diaz won’t be happening at UFC 230 either.
UFC President Dana White told the LA Times Lance Pugmire that Nate Diaz is “definitely off UFC 230”.
Nate Diaz definitely off UFC 230, Dana White tells me…
— Lance Pugmire (@latimespugmire) October 10, 2018
With that said, UFC 230 has now lost two big fights in less than twelve hours.
In addition to the loss of Nate Diaz vs. Dustin Poirier, the November 3 fight card also lost it’s UFC women’s flyweight title fight between Valentina Shevchenko and Sijara Eubanks.
The one bright note of the day was that a heavyweight title fight between Derrick Lewis and Daniel Cormier had been booked to headline next month’s UFC 230 event.
“The Black Beast” scored a sensational knockout in what was a last second comeback victory over Alexander Volkov at last weekend’s UFC 229 event in Las Vegas.
Nate Diaz has not competed inside the cage since suffering his controversial majority decision loss to Conor McGregor at UFC 202 in August of 2016.
Dana White did not give any hint as to when fight fans can expect to see Diaz back in the cage, or if Nate’s matchup with Poirier would be booked for a later date.