Select Page
Max Holloway breaks his silence, responds to Conor and Khabib!

Max Holloway breaks his silence, responds to Conor and Khabib!

Earlier this week, unfortunate news struck the mixed martial arts world when ESPN announced that current UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway had been forced out of his scheduled UFC 226 title fight with Brian Ortega.

“Blessed” was hospitalized due to concussion-like symptoms and thus removed from this weekend’s highly anticipated UFC 226 pay-per-view fight card.

Max Holloway (19-3 MMA) has not competed inside the octagon since defeating Jose Aldo in their rematch this past December at UFC 218 in Detroit.

This marks the second time in a row that the Hawaiian champion has been forced out of a scheduled fight.

Back in April, “Blessed” was slated to fill in as a short-notice replacement against current UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223 but was eventually pulled from the bout after being deemed medically unfit to compete.

Max Holloway recently took to social media where he issued the following statement regarding his removal from UFC 226.

“It was what it was,” Holloway began. “Respect to Ortega and his team. Thank you [Dana White] and the [UFC] staff for making my health priority. Also thank you to [Jeremy Stephens] and [Frankie Edgar] for being about that champ life and stepping up. I see you. To all the fans I know this rollercoaster can be frustrating because my team is also on it with you. All I can say is I’m truly sorry and I hope you guys stay buckled in because it is far from being over. Don’t let the bad surprises distract you from the good surprises in this great sport. The best is still blessed.”

Holloway also responded to UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov and former champ Conor McGregor, who both wished him well after his UFC 226 withdrawal.

“Thank you my brother,” he said to Nurmagomedov. “I know you know what it is because your whole team is champions. Peace be with you.”

“Thank you champ champ,” he said to McGregor. One of the best minds in this game said we win or learn. This is learning for me. Hope to see you back brother.”

When do you think we’ll see Max Holloway back in the UFC’s Octagon?

VIDEO | Watch Brian Ortega KO Frankie Edgar at UFC 222

VIDEO | Watch Brian Ortega KO Frankie Edgar at UFC 222

By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)

https://twitter.com/TeamFA/status/970228355365855232

Brian Ortega made history at the past weekend’s UFC 222 event in Las Vegas, becoming the first fighter in history to finish UFC legend Frankie Edgar.

“T-City” was able to land a nasty standing elbow that had Edgar on wobbly legs and in all sorts of trouble.

From there, Ortega would land a pair of punches followed by a savage uppercut that send the former lightweight champion crashing to the canvas.

Ortega would follow up with two ground and pound strikes which prompted the referee to step in and stop the contest.

With the win, Ortega has now earned himself a shot at current UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway.

Frankie Edgar will fight anyone at any weight class and Cody Garbrandt is down!

Frankie Edgar will fight anyone at any weight class and Cody Garbrandt is down!

By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)

Frankie Edgar will fight anyone at any weight class and Cody Garbrandt is down!

ESPN’s Brett Okamoto broke some very unfortunate news Friday when he announced that current UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway had suffered an injury and was no longer able to defend his belt against Frankie Edgar at UFC 222.

With that news, the UFC has been left scrambling to try and find a new main event while attempting to keep “The Answer” on the March 3 fight card in Las Vegas.

MMAFighting’s Ariel Helwani reported that the UFC was hoping to have Brian Ortega replace the injured Max Holloway against Frankie Edgar in a non-title bout.

The promotion was also hoping to book a short-notice bantamweight title fight rematch between current champ T.J. Dillashaw and former title holder Cody Garbrandt to help salvage the card.

Unfortunately for fight fans hoping to see that rematch, Dillashaw is apparently injured and would rather return at UFC 226 this July in a super-fight with current Flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson.

The always game former UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar recently took to Twitter where he bravely announced that he would be willing to fight anyone in any weight class to save the UFC 222 pay-per-view event.

“I’m down for anyone, any fight, any weight class. Let’s save this fight card! @danawhite @seanshelby @Mickmaynard2” – Frankie Edgar

It did not take long for “The Answer” to receive an offer, as the aforementioned former UFC bantamweight champion of the world Cody Garbrandt took to social media with the following.

“@AliAbdelaziz00 get us paid I’m down!! #fightersfight” – Cody Garbrandt

Is this the fight to make?

Frankie Edgar forced out of UFC 218 title fight with Max Holloway

Frankie Edgar forced out of UFC 218 title fight with Max Holloway

By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)

UFC 218 just lost it’s highly anticipated main event title fight between current UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway and former lightweight title holder Frankie Edgar.

It was announced earlier tonight by Brazilian news outlet combate, that “The Answer” had suffered an injury and was no longer able to compete at the December 2 event in Detroit, Michigan.

Max Holloway is looking to remain on the card and says he is “willing to fight anyone for the fans of Detroit”.

“Blessed” was last seen in action at UFC 212 in June where he defeated Jose Aldo via third-round TKO to become the promotions undisputed featherweight champion.

Since the new broke, several top featherweights including Jose Aldo, Ricardo Lamas and Cub Swanson have offered to replace Edgar at the UFC 218 pay-per-view event.

No word yet on which fight, if any, will get the nod.