Select Page
Georges St-Pierre’s fate has been determined

Georges St-Pierre’s fate has been determined

By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)

Former UFC welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre (25-2 MMA) was originally slated to make his long awaited octagon return this summer in a middleweight title fight opposite current division champion Michael Bisping.

Unfortunately for fight fans hoping to watch “Rush” square off with “The Count”, the proposed fight was delayed due to a lingering eye injury suffered by the Canadian star.

Now it appears that Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre bout has been scrapped entirely as UFC president revealed to MMAJunkie that the promotion has a new plan for the former welterweight champion of the world.

“Georges and I talked a couple days ago when he was in Vegas,” White said in an exclusive interview at UFC headquarters. “Georges is saying he wants to fight; we’ll get this thing figured out. We’re talking about Tyron Woodley and Demian Maia. These two are going to fight soon. That will free up the 170-pound champion for Georges St-Pierre to return and try to regain his belt.”

News broke earlier this evening that current welterweight title holder Tyron Woodley would be defending his title against top division contender Demian Maia in the co-main event of UFC 214 on July 29 in Anaheim, California.

With that said, Georges St-Pierre will now meet the winner of the newly announced Woodley vs. Maia matchup.

The timing would work very well for “GSP” to return to the cage against the Maia vs. Woodley winner at Madison Square Garden this November in New York.

St-Pierre was last seen in action at UFC 167 in November of 2013, where he earned a split-decision victory over Johny Hendricks.

“GSP” will return to action riding a current twelve-fight win streak, which includes victories over Nick Diaz, BJ Penn, Carlos Condit, Matt Serra, Jake Shields and Matt Hughes just to name a few.

What do you think of the news from UFC president Dana White?

Tyron Woodley says Georges St-Pierre picked the “safe fight” with Michael Bisping

Tyron Woodley says Georges St-Pierre picked the “safe fight” with Michael Bisping

By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)

Current UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley is targeting UFC 213 on July 8 in Las Vegas for his octagon return.

“The Chosen One” recently sat down with’s Chris Taylor on ‘Rapid Fire’ where he spoke about his future and the fights he needs to have in order to cement his legacy as the greatest welterweight of all time.

“I want the fight that is going to cement me as the legend, the greatest of all time. There is two guys right now, where if I could beat those two guys I am then the greatest welterweight of all time. If I can beat Nick Diaz. If I can beat Georges St-Pierre, then nobody can say I am not the best welterweight fighter to ever step in the octagon. It would make me better than Georges (St-Pierre), better than Matt Hughes. I would be the best of all time. So those two fights just so happen to also be potentially huge pay-per-view fights. So obviously those are my number one options.”

He continued:

“Nick Diaz knows that I respect him. More importantly I respect how he was in the sport when the money wasn’t the same. You know he hasn’t gotten that big payday like his baby brother (Nate Diaz) yet. I personally think he deserves that. You know he has had those crazy fights. Had the concussions. Had the cuts on his eyes. Fought so many times. Three or four fights a year usually. He helped build this sport. Helped bring a different crowd to the sport. So at the end of the day I feel like somebody like that (Nick Diaz) should be rewarded for those previous fights and have a chance to make a big pay-per-view payday.”

Tyron Woodley Stephen Thompson

As for Georges St-Pierre, Woodley believes that scoring a fight with the former UFC welterweight kingpin won’t be easy, as “Rush” knows that “T-Wood” is simply a bad style matchup for him.

“As for Georges St-Pierre, I don’t think he wants to fight me. I don’t think he wants to come back and fight a guy like me. He wants to fight a guy like Bisping because they are very evenly matched. Bisping is not a huge middleweight. Michael is not known as a guy who will knock your head off and he is not going to outwrestle Georges. So style wise it is a very safe matchup for Georges. He knows that he could potentially lose to Bisping, but that it is a much safer fight for him.”

He continued:

“One of the reasons he left (Georges St-Pierre) was because he was worried about concussions. With Bisping he doesn’t have to worry about that as much. With me, he knows I am coming to knock him out. Plus I am very hard to takedown and would probably end up taking him down. So he’s not used to that style of matchup. The only guy who was kind of like me was Johny Hendricks and he made Georges go crawl in a cave for three years.”

How do you think a fight between Tyron Woodley and Georges St-Pierre would play out?

Michael Bisping threatens to take away Georges St-Pierre’s title shot

Michael Bisping threatens to take away Georges St-Pierre’s title shot

By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)

Michael Bisping threatens to give Georges St-Pierre’s title shot back to Yoel Romero

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping wants to fight Georges St-Pierre on July 8 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

However, the Canadian superstar has yet to sign on the dotted line for the proposed middleweight title fight against “The Count”, which has left the brash Englishman running short on patience.

Bisping took to Twitter where he issued the following warning to St-Pierre on his podcast:

“So long story short it looks as if GSP is trying to push for a later date (then July 8). I have heard rumors of that a while ago from Ariel Helwani. I heard that he wanted like September or October and that is what the UFC told me as well. But I am just throwing it out there right now. If he (GSP) wants to wait until September or October, then he can go find himself another opponent. Because I call the shots. Without sounding like an asshole, it is my belt. I am the champion, and I am not willing to sit around until September or October. This fight was discussed in January. You know a fight camp only takes 8 weeks. Or six weeks. So fighting in September or October is ridiculous. July 8 is the date. I may be a little bit flexible and be willing to go a little past that date if needed. But I want to fight international fight week July 8. So Georges St-Pierre, get it together. Stop doing your f*cking gymnastics. Stop doing your backflips and whatever it is. Let’s do this buddy. Sign the paper work. You want it. You sat there at the press conference. You talked big. So sign the god damn paperwork. It is as simple as that!”

He continued:

“If he’s not ready then I guess Yoel Romero gets his title shot! Listen I am not afraid of Yoel Romero. If GSP wants to fight then of course, there is a great storyline there. The fight would do great business. But I am not willing to sit around and he’s not calling the shots. I am the champ.”

Bisping finished off by delivering this final message to “Rush”:

“I am not willing to wait a year for Georges St-Pierre to fight me. I might as well do two fights in that one year and still make the same money.”

Do you think we will see Georges St-Pierre fight Michael Bisping on July 8 in Las Vegas, or will Yoel Romero be next to challenge “The Count”?

Georges St-Pierre vs. Michael Bisping official

Georges St-Pierre vs. Michael Bisping official

By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)

He’s back!!!

Former UFC welterweight kingpin Georges St-Pierre will return to the Octagon to fight Michael Bisping in 2017 according to UFC President Dana White, who broke the news on ESPN. While White announced that the fight would be taking place in 2017, he also revealed that that fight had not been set for an event at the present time.

The fight will mark the first time that “GSP” has competed inside the cage since November of 2013, when he scored a split-decision victory over Johny Hendricks at UFC 167 to retain his welterweight championship.

Following his victory over “Bigg Rigg”, St-Pierre shocked the mixed martial arts world by announcing that he was walking away from the sport, thus vacating his UFC welterweight title.

Georges St-Pierre interview

In his return to the octagon, the Canadian superstar will be looking to extend his current win streak to thirteen in a row by scoring a victory over “The Count”.

Michael Bisping was last seen in action at UFC 204 in Manchester where he earned a tough decision victory over a very game Dan Henderson.

ufc middleweight championship fight

Prior to his victory over “Hendo”, Bisping had scored a first-round knockout victory over Luke Rochold at June’s UFC 199 event in Los Angeles, which earned “The Count” the UFC’s coveted middleweight title.

Who do you think will emerge victories when St-Pierre and Bisping square off?