Former UFC and Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez has found a new home. “The Underground King” announced tonight that he has signed with ONE Championship.
ONE Championship’s Chatri Sityodtong shared the following video adding the caption “Please join me in welcoming Eddie Alvarez to @ONEChampionship! I am super excited for our fans to witness Eddie’s high octane, explosive dynamite KO style. Stay tuned for more big news! @Ealvarezfight”
“Hey guys. The moment of truth has arrived. I know you heard the rumors… and they are true. We got our official contract from ONE FC and we’re all signed up.” – Eddie Alvarez
Eddie Alvarez (29-6 MMA) has put together one of the most impressive resumes in the history of mixed martial arts.
“The Underground King” has won championships in MFC, Bodog, Bellator and most recently in the UFC over his illustrious career.
Eddie Alvarez has gone 4-2 over his past six fights, his latest being a second-round TKO loss to Dustin Poirier at July’s UFC on FOX 30 event in Calgary.
Prior to his setback against “The Diamond“, Eddie Alvarez was coming off an amazing third-round knockout win over Justin Gaethje which occurred at UFC 218 in Detroit.
Now with ONE Championship, Eddie Alvarez has the opportunity to fight against Eduard Folayang, Martin Nguyen, or even complete a trilogy with Shinya Aoki.
Who would you like to see “The Underground King” Eddie Alvarez fight in his first bout under the ONE Championship banner?
It appears that former UFC lightweight title challenger Nate Diaz will not be competing under the bright lights of Madison Square Garden at UFC 230.
“The Stockton Slugger” was expected to face surging lightweight contender Dustin Poirier at the November 3 event in New York, but “The Diamond” was unfortunately forced out with an injury.
Many fight fans were hoping that former two division UFC champion Conor McGregor would step up to fight Nate Diaz on short-notice for a third time at the event.
However, those hopes were quickly crushed when the Irishman’s longtime coach John Kavanagh tweeted the following reminder of McGregor’s UFC medical suspension.
“Medical suspension folks. But Tony v nate??” – John Kavanagh
Sadly, Tony Ferguson vs. Nate Diaz won’t be happening at UFC 230 either.
UFC President Dana White told the LA Times Lance Pugmire that Nate Diaz is “definitely off UFC 230”.
With that said, UFC 230 has now lost two big fights in less than twelve hours.
In addition to the loss of Nate Diaz vs. Dustin Poirier, the November 3 fight card also lost it’s UFC women’s flyweight title fight between Valentina Shevchenko and Sijara Eubanks.
The one bright note of the day was that a heavyweight title fight between Derrick Lewis and Daniel Cormier had been booked to headline next month’s UFC 230 event.
“The Black Beast” scored a sensational knockout in what was a last second comeback victory over Alexander Volkov at last weekend’s UFC 229 event in Las Vegas.
Nate Diaz has not competed inside the cage since suffering his controversial majority decision loss to Conor McGregor at UFC 202 in August of 2016.
Dana White did not give any hint as to when fight fans can expect to see Diaz back in the cage, or if Nate’s matchup with Poirier would be booked for a later date.
Former UFC featherweight kingpin Jose Aldo is looking to score a rematch with Conor McGregor.
The Brazilians callout comes on the heels of the Irishman’s fourth-round submission loss to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 229.
“It’s time! @TheNotoriousMMA” – Jose Aldo
Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor first met back at UFC 194 in December of 2015.
Aldo entered that contest, which at the time was for his UFC featherweight title, riding a sensational eighteen-fight win streak.
However, Aldo’s incredible streak came to a shocking end just thirteen seconds in to the fights opening round.
McGregor was able to land a picture perfect left hand that sent the mixed martial arts legend crashing to the canvas.
Aldo has always wanted a chance at redemption against McGregor and now might be as good of a time as any for this rematch to happen.
Jose Aldo is coming off a first-round TKO victory over Jeremy Stephens which occurred this past July in Calgary.
Following his first stoppage win in nearly five years, Aldo announced his intentions to move up in weight and join the promotions 155-pound ranks.
Unfortunately for Aldo, Conor McGregor appears to have his sights set on an immediate rematch with current lightweight title holder Khabib Nurmagomedov.
“Mystic Mac” has gone 9-2 under the UFC banner, with his only two setbacks coming at the hands of Nate Diaz and the aforementioned Nurmagomedov.
Would you like to see a rematch between Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor booked next by UFC officials?
Former two division UFC champion Conor McGregor returned to the octagon for the first time since November of 2016 to take on current lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov tonight at UFC 229.
Despite his long layoff, Conor McGregor was full of confidence prior to tonight’s UFC 229 showdown with “The Eagle”.
Unfortunately for “Mystic Mac” and his fans, Khabib Nurmagomedov was able to utilize his strong wrestling skills on route to a fourth-round submission victory.
The undefeated Russian was able to secure a rear-naked choke on Conor McGregor in round number four which forced the Irishman to tapout.
Immediately following his UFC 229 victory, Khabib Nurmagomedov proceeded to jump out of the octagon and attack Conor McGregor’s teammate and coach Dillon Danis.
That act sparked a brawl between the two teams which resulted in Conor McGregor taking multiple punches from different members of the Khabib entourage.
Despite what happened moments after the conclusion of tonight’s UFC 229 event, UFC President Dana White announced that Conor McGregor would not be pressing charges.
Shortly following the conclusion of tonight’s UFC 229 post-fight press conference, Conor McGregor took to Twitter with the following message.
“Good knock. Looking forward to the rematch.” – Conor McGregor
Would you like to see the UFC book an immediate rematch between Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov?