A women’s flyweight title fight featuring top contender Valentina Shevchenko taking on current division champion Nicco Montano is in the works for September’s UFC 228 event.
“The Bullet” took to Twitter earlier today with the following message for Nicco Montano encouraging the current 125-pound champion to sign the fight agreement.
“Hey Nicco, finally! Sign the fight agreement first. You changed your word once already. No trust before I will see the paper from you. See you in octagon #ufc228 #september8” – Valentina Shevchenko
Valentina Shevchenko made her highly anticipated flyweight debut this past February in Brazil where she put on an absolute clinic against Priscila Cachoeira which culminated in a second-round submission victory.
“The Bullet” has gone 15-3 during her mixed martial arts career, which includes a victory over former UFC bantamweight champion Holly Holm.
Shevchenko’s two UFC losses have both come at the hands of current UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes, with both decision victories for “The Lioness” being considered highly controversial.
As for Nicco Montano, the first ever UFC women’s flyweight champion was most recently seen in action this past December in Las Vegas where she defeated Roxanne Modafferi via decision to claim the promotions newest title.
Montano has gone 4-2 overall in her young mixed martial arts career, scoring two TKO victories in that time.
The long awaited Shevchenko vs. Montano fight announcement could be made official shortly as BJPENN.com’s Chris Taylor reported earlier today that verbal agreements were now in place.
“No contracts have been signed but I’m told verbal agreements are in place to have Valentina Shevchenko challenge Nicco Montano for the UFC flyweight title at #UFC228”
UFC 228 takes place September 8 but the event location and venue have yet to be announced by the promotion.
Two other fights have already been announced for UFC 228. A featherweight scrap between Yair Rodriguez and Zabit Magomedsharipov, as well as a bantamweight bout between Jimmie Rivera and John Dodson.
Who are you picking to walk out of UFC 228 with the women’s flyweight title, Valentina Shevchenko or Nicco Montano?
Former UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos will likely be the next man to square off with surging welterweight contender Kamaru Usman.
BJPENN.com’s Chris Taylor reported that news earlier today.
“I’m told that the UFC is currently working on booking a welterweight fight between recent interim title challenger Rafael dos Anjos and surging division contender Kamaru Usman for early this fall. What do you folks think of the matchup?” – Chris Taylor
Rafael dos Anjos was most recently seen in action earlier this month at UFC 225 in Chicago, where he suffered a unanimous decision loss to Colby Covington in his bid for the promotions interim welterweight championship.
Prior to the setback, the former UFC lightweight world champion had reeled off three consecutive victories at 170-pounds including wins over former champion Robbie Lawler and division staples Neil Magny and Tarec Saffiedine.
Meanwhile, Kamaru Usman improved his overall record to 13-1 at last month’s UFC event in Chile by defeating former division title challenger Demian Maia via unanimous decision.
Since joining the UFC ranks in July of 2015, the “Nigerian Nightmare” has gone a perfect 8-0 scoring two finishes and six decision wins in that time.
If the UFC does in fact book a fight between Rafael dos Anjos and Kamaru Usman next, then it will be very interesting to see what direction the promotion decides to go with #2 ranked welterweight Darren Till.
Interim welterweight champion Colby Covington is clearly next for long time title holder Tyron Woodley, which leaves Darren Till on the outside looking in and currently without a future opponent.
What do you think of the proposed welterweight matchup between Kamaru Usman and Rafael dos Anjos?
This could be a wild summer for the NBA!
Multiple time league MVP LeBron James can opt out of his current contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers and become a free agent if he so chooses.
Many teams have already expressed interest in the now 33-year-old including the Los Angeles Clippers, Houston Rockets, Golden State Warriors, Los Angeles Lakers, San Antonio Spurs, Miami Heat and Philadelphia 76ers.
While there are no guarantees that “King James” will in fact leave his hometown of Cleveland, it is definitely fun to think of the possible options for him playing elsewhere.
Another star who could potentially be on the move is Oklahoma’s Paul George. The talented forward has the option to leave town if he so chooses.
In addition to LeBron James and Paul George, Kawhi Leonard reportedly wants out of San Antonio.
Rumors began swirling that the Spurs star was unhappy earlier this month and now it appears to be a forgone conclusion that Leonard will be leaving San Antonio.
Time will tell what happens with all three of the aforementioned NBA stars, but basketball fans are definitely expecting a wild offseason.
By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)
The Los Angeles Rams have signed defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh to a one-year deal worth $14 million dollars according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport.
The 31-year-old was released by his former team the Miami Dolphins at the start of free agency.
Suh had visited the Titans, Saints and Raiders prior to eventually signing with the Rams.
In LA, Suh will play alongside reigning defensive player of the year Aaron Donald.
Los Angeles made the playoffs last season under the leadership of star quarterback Jared Goff.
With the signing of Suh, it is clear that the Rams have Super Bowl aspirations for the 2018-2019 season.
Stay tuned to KalapakiJoes.com for all of your major NFL News!