Select Page
Tyron Woodley targets July return, has two opponents in mind

Tyron Woodley targets July return, has two opponents in mind

By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley scored a majority decision victory over Stephen Thompson at last month’s UFC 209 event in Las Vegas, thus retaining his 170-pound strap.

“The Chosen One” took some time out of his busy schedule today to appear on BJPENN.com’s Rapid Fire segment with host Chris Taylor where he discussed the timeline for his next octagon appearance.

“I’ve got another movie that I am doing. I will do that one and then I am going to have to start turning down things because my gut tells me that I will fighting again in July.”

Taylor asked Woodley if he was hoping to return to the octagon at UFC 213 which takes place July 8 during International Fight Week in Las Vegas.

“Yea for sure. You know the UFC doesn’t have that many stars. They have a lot of great fighters, but as far as actual stars there is not very many of them in the UFC. So with that said, I think that I am one of the guys that is right on the cusp of breaking through and becoming that star. And I think the UFC will put their heavy hitters on that card (UFC 213). I don’t know exactly what they (the UFC) have planned but I talked to Dana (White) not to long ago and he asked me when I want to fight and I told him that I want to fight then (July 8). So with that said, I think that is going to be a go. That is what we are shooting for.”

Woodley discussed the potential opponents for his next fight and whether or not his next fight will involve defending his welterweight strap.

“An opponent is not really defined. There is some welterweight bouts going on, but man it is a crazy sport right now. I don’t really feel confined to just fighting the number one contender. I am not going to be the only weight class in the UFC that has to stay true to that old rule set. When everyone is showing us that, you know, that the game is really wide open for giving the fans the fights they want to see.”

Taylor asked which opponents, if any, Woodley was eyeing for his next fight.

“You know UFC 205 was a huge pay-per-view event for me. Why would I not try and produce a fight with (Michael) Bisping or Nick or Nate Diaz, Georges St-Pierre and Conor McGregor. Those guys are my first options right now.”

Tyron Woodley Nick Diaz

Woodley clarified that he is not worried about “money fights” but instead cementing his legacy as the greatest welterweight of all time. If he gets rich by doing so, that is just an added bonus.

“This is the thing. I am not just going for money fights. A lot of guys are going for money fights. A lot of guys want to fight the best 1 or 2 to prove they are the best in the world. And maybe some guys who aren’t champions are just trying to get the right fights to get to the belt. That is all it is. I am at the belt. I am at a point where I am greedy man. I want the fight that is going to cement me as the legend, the greatest of all time. There is two guys right now, where if I could beat those two guys I am then the greatest welterweight of all time. If I can beat Nick Diaz. If I can beat Georges St-Pierre, then nobody can say I am not the best welterweight fighter to ever step in the octagon. It would make me better than Georges (St-Pierre), better than Matt Hughes. I would be the best of all time. So those two fights just so happen to also be potentially huge pay-per-view fights. So obviously those are my number one options.”

He continued:

“Nick Diaz knows that I respect him. More importantly I respect how he was in the sport when the money wasn’t the same. You know he hasn’t gotten that big payday like his baby brother (Nate Diaz) yet. I personally think he deserves that. You know he has had those crazy fights. Had the concussions. Had the cuts on his eyes. Fought so many times. Three or four fights a year usually. He helped build this sport. So at the end of the day I feel like somebody like that (Nick Diaz) should be rewarded for those previous fights and have a chance to make a big pay-per-view payday. As for Georges St-Pierre, I don’t think he wants to fight me. I don’t think he wants to come back and fight a guy like me. One of the reasons he left (Georges St-Pierre) was because he was worried about concussions. With Bisping he doesn’t have to worry about that as much. With me, he knows I am coming to knock him out. Plus I am very hard to takedown and would probably end up taking him down. So he’s not used to that style of matchup. The only guy who was kind of like me was Johny Hendricks and he made Georges go crawl in a cave for three years.”

Who would you like to see Tyron Woodley fight at UFC 213 on July 8 in Las Vegas?

Tyron Woodley and Michael Bisping agree to 180-pound super fight in May

Tyron Woodley and Michael Bisping agree to 180-pound super fight in May

By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley and UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping have agreed to fight each other at a catchweight of 180 pounds in May. Yes, you read that sentence correctly.

The two champions crossed paths over the weekend, and for whatever reason, began negotiating the terms of a potential super fight. Their exchange can be seen in the video below, which was posted to the official Instagram account of Michael Bisping.

“Welterweight champ [Tyron Woodley] wants to throw down,” Bisping said. “Calling me out at the weekend. I’m down for whatever so if you wanna do it T-wood. Let’s go.”

Woodley later confirmed that he’s up for this unexpected 180-pound superfight with a post to his Twitter account. See that Tweet below.

https://twitter.com/twooodley/status/815683503085846528

Though it’s certainly exciting that the two champs have agreed to this fight, whether or not this fight actually happens will ultimately be decided by the UFC. Given that Woodley has two dangerous contenders in Stephen Thompson and Demian Maia on his plate, and that Bisping has a bout with Yoel Romero on the horizon, it’s possible that the UFC opts to go in a different direction for both men and that their recently negotiated showdown remains in the realm of the hypothetical. Time will tell.

Bisping was last seen in action in October when he scored a hard fought decision victory over MMA legend Dan Henderson, thus retaining the UFC middleweight belt.

Woodley, meanwhile, most recently competed at November’s UFC 205 event in New York, where he battled Stephen Thompson to a majority draw, keeping the welterweight crown as a result.

Who do you think wins this potential 180-pound showdown?

 

Report | Two massive welterweight fights in the works for March’s UFC 209 event

Report | Two massive welterweight fights in the works for March’s UFC 209 event

By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)

Two massive welterweight rematches are apparently in the works for March’s UFC 209 event in Las Vegas.

Last month following his UFC 205 majority decision draw against welterweight champion Tyron Woodley, top 170-pound contender Stephen Thompson revealed to BJPENN.com that a rematch between himself and “The Chosen One’ was already in the works for February or March of 2017.

Well, according to BJPENN.com’s Chris Taylor, that welterweight title fight rematch is being slated to headline UFC 209 in Las Vegas on March 4.

In addition to that highly anticipated rematch, Taylor also revealed that former Strikeforce welterweight champion Nick Diaz is being targeted to return at the event against former UFC welterweight title holder Robbie Lawler.

Nick Diaz (26-9 MMA) has not stepped foot in the octagon since suffering a decision loss to Anderson Silva in the main event of UFC 183 in January 2015. That fight was eventually overturned to a no-contest after “The Spider” tested positive for performance enhancing drugs. In addition, Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites following the bout and was subsequently served an 18-month suspension.

Nick Diaz vs. Anderson Silva

Meanwhile, Robbie Lawler was last seen in action at July’s UFC 201 in Atlanta, where he suffered a first-round knockout loss to Tyron Woodley surrendering his welterweight title in the process. Prior to the setback, “Ruthless” had won five-straight fights which included victories over former champions Johny Hendricks and Carlos Condit.

Tyron Woodley challenges Conor McGregor to climb the tree to welterweight

Tyron Woodley challenges Conor McGregor to climb the tree to welterweight

By: Chris Taylor (Kalapaki Joe’s Staff Writer)

Prior to his five-round war with Stephen Thompson at UFC 205 this past Saturday night in New York, UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley was involved in a couple of altercations with Irish superstar Conor McGregor at the events weigh ins.

“The Chosen One”, who successfully defended his title after fighting to a majority decision draw with “Wonderboy”, spoke to BJPENN.com’s Chris Taylor on today’s episode of ‘Rapid Fire’ where he discussed the possibility of fighting “Mystic Mac” in the future.

“I don’t think he would take that fight.” stated Woodley. “I mean I’m not just going to decide to take on say Yoel Romero. Some guys are just big guys when it comes to size difference you know? 185 would be tough for me. I mean there are certain guys I think I may do well against. I think I could compete with Michael Bisping because of the style match-up. But guys like Luke Rockhold and Chris Weidman. Those are just really big guys man. I would have to be a tazmanian devil out there and bounce around the octagon super fast in order to be effective. So I can understand why it wouldn’t make sense for him (to fight me).

 

Conor McGregor

The welterweight champion believes he is superior to McGregor in all aspects of the fight game, including boxing.

“Conor already knows he wouldn’t have a mental advantage because he can’t get in to my head like he gets in to other opponents heads. He is not going to have the size advantage. He is not going to have the grappling or jiu-jitsu advantage. And it would be the first fight where he would not have the boxing advantage. You know what I mean. It’s a win-win fight for him though. If he wins, he has three belts. If he loses? So what. He lost to a guy way bigger than he is. Then he can go and say ‘none of you guys would have done this’ and all the rest of that. So yea, it is a win-win for him. I would definitely take the fight. It is a no-brainer for me. He would have to want the fight. If he wants it then the fight is happening! Conor if you want to climb that tree, then I am right here with the ladder.’”

Do you think Conor McGregor would be biting off more than he could chew by taking a fight with welterweight champion Tyron Woodley?